Monday, August 24, 2009

Sadness and Hope

As I struggle through the Scriptures for a memorial service sermon tomorrow, I'm thinking both about Charlene (who had been praying for the Lord to bring her home for some time) and the difficult situation at Highlands around the departure of our brother elder John. I'm listening to worship music, "you conquered the grave," "you are mighty to save." Amen and amen. Jesus is mighty to save. Pastors seek to save and manage and fix and it is all completely futile. JESUS is mighty to save. If I rest in him and his grace, I'll live in hope. As soon as I turn back to my own failing strength, hope flees from me. Dear Jesus, keep me from falling, from stumbling headlong over my own sin. Only you...

The Lord's Supper is this Sunday. Prepare your hearts to come to his Table. Jesus is inviting us to come to him in our weakness and need, promising to always be with us, even to the end of the age. I invite you to join us in praying and fasting on Friday in preparation for his Table. Pray that the Spirit would reveal to you your sin and need and grant you repentance. Pray that your elders would walk humbly before God and minister in Christ's church in the love of Christ. Pray for your brothers and sisters around the world who are even now being persecuted and killed for the testimony of Jesus.

Our teaching time will include a time for questions about women in the church. We'll struggle through God's word together and seek his peace and healing at his Table.

No comments:

Post a Comment